Are you on vacation in the Mexican Caribbean? Lucky for you, the Whale Shark season is from May 15 to September 15, 2017. Year after year these giant creatures arrive in the Mexican Caribbean between Isla Holbox and Isla Contoy to feed on the plankton, giving us the opportunity to appreciate this wonderful species even more closely than one could imagine, swimming with them! Although it is the largest fish in the universe at up to 14 meters in length and weighing up to 20 tons, it is one of the most noble species, its heart is as large as its size allowing you to swim at their side without the slightest problem.
Whale Shark Facts
• Their skin tends to be greyish or bluish with white spots that are unique and unrepeatable, like the fingerprints to us humans.
• They love plankton, their main food source, which is why they visits Isla Holbox and Isla Contoy in Quintana Roo.
• They reach the stage of sexual reproduction at age 30 and live up to 60 years.
• SEMARNAP protects this beautiful fish with safety and surveillance devices during the whale shark season.
• August 30 is declared as Whale Shark Day
How do I make this happen?
Prepare yourself for a trip of approximately 2hrs by boat to the place where this majestic and noble fish is located. The tour can be a bit tumultuous as the boats try to arrive in the shortest possible time so you spend more time with this specimen. Once there, you have to follow the instructions of your captain and guide since if you decide to enter the water you will do it alongside your guide. Do not be alarmed, this charming animal will never attack you and you should not try to touch it if it swims right next to you since our intention is not to disturb it and let it continue to feed. If you have a good waterproof camera this is the time to take advantage of it. Surely once you return home, you will not be able to avoid a smiling by evoking this day alongside such noble and peaceful beings.
Haven’t booked your hotel in Cancun yet? If you have not already done so, click here.